This Date In WallBreaking History: 10.21.2015

This Date In WallBreaking History: 10.21.2015

Community
On October 21, 1959 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum moved into its Current location at 1071 Fifth Avenue on the corner of East 89th Street in New York City.   Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the building’s Spiral gallery extends from ground level along cylindrical Edges to just under the ceiling skylight. (more…)
Read More
And Freedom For’s Interview with Sky Pape

And Freedom For’s Interview with Sky Pape

Community
The Following is a guest article from the Brooklyn-based art blog And Freedom For. New York-based artist Sky Pape’s work is like an intangible sense memory of the natural world. They are the feel of rain on your skin or reeds scratching your legs, but they are more importantly an expression of the underlying force that moves and grows it all. By guiding Sumi ink around a page, tracing graphite across a board or pasting together delicate strips of handmade paper she creates potent works that resonate with our experience to the natural world without telling us how to interact with it. (more…)
Read More
Revolution, Independence, And Harriet Tubman: A Question of Proper Rights

Revolution, Independence, And Harriet Tubman: A Question of Proper Rights

Community
The Following is a joint article with massive guest contributions from Christian Elden and Marsha Barrow Smith. The first portion of the article is background, the middle by Ms. Barrow Smith, and the last by James Scully     Black History Month, which began in the United States as “Negro History Week” in February 1926, is an opportunity for people to recognize the past and present contributions that African-Americans make in areas such as education, medicine, art, culture, public service, economic development, politics and human rights. To help people further recognize those contributions, Marsha Barrow Smith, who was born & raised in Toronto, founded Follow the Northern Star, a company dedicated to producing high quality educational products that respectfully highlight those individuals within minorities in North American history. Smith's lifelong passion for…
Read More
I Am Not a Number – By Moritz Eggert

I Am Not a Number – By Moritz Eggert

Community
The following is a guest post from Moritz Eggert. You can follow him on twitter here.   People are always a bit confused when they talk to me at parties: “so you are a composer?” (raised eyebrow) “Of what kind of music?”   Then my trouble begins: how do I describe my music? If I say “classical music” people think I write like Mozart or Beethoven, and this confuses the hell out of them as they talk to somebody who is alive and not six feet under.   If I say I write “contemporary classical music” they usually confuse it with the mostly harmless pling-plong of “new classical” composers like Ludovico Einaudi. Or they think I write symphonic music for computer games.   If I say I write “New Music”…
Read More
Awareness, Breaking Free, Defying Authority: The Art of Amna Gull, by Mehreen Shahid

Awareness, Breaking Free, Defying Authority: The Art of Amna Gull, by Mehreen Shahid

Community
The following is a guest article by Mehreen Shahid, who you can connect with on Linkedin here!   Awareness - breaking free - defying authority - those are the themes emanating from the final Masters thesis by Amna Gull displayed at the National College of Arts, Lahore, in December 2013.   Born and raised in a science-based family, Amna defied the trend by entering the arts.   “I had to go through the same crunch, although I wasn’t good at science, neither did I have any interest in the subject. I was always doodling around the sides of my books and copies.” Scraping through high school science, helped convince her parents that Amna should be delving in the arts. She started with her Bachelor in Fine Arts at the Lahore College for…
Read More