In Breaking Walls Episode 96, we laugh, scream, and cry while we join radio’s best as they celebrate Halloween on the air.
• The Birth of the Great Gildersleeve
• Sam Spade has a Halloween adventure
• Ernest Chappell says, “Don’t Tell Me About Halloween”
• Spike Jones and His City Slickers Celebrate
• Sherlock Holmes and the Laughing Lemur
• The Story Behind Bing Crosby’s Departure from NBC and move to ABC
• Ozzie, Harriet, David, and Ricky
• Jack Benny goes Trick-Or-Treating
• John Guedel, Art Linkletter, and People Are Funny
• Looking Ahead to the Holiday Season
Subscribe to Breaking Walls everywhere you get your podcasts.
To support the show:
The reading material used in today’s episode was:
• On The Air — By John Dunning
• Terror On The Air!, Horror Radio in America — By Richard J. Hand
• Network Radio Ratings, 1932-53 — by Jim Ramsburg
As well as articles by:
• TUNE IN Magazine – September 1946
• Broadcasting Magazine – April 14th, July14th, and September 15th, 1947
On the interview front:
• Chuck Schaden interviewed Jack Benny, Ken Carpenter, John Guedel, Shirley Mitchell, Arch Oboler, Hal Peary, Lurene Tuttle, and Mike Wallace. Hear their full chats at SpeakingofRadio.com.
• Howard Duff, June Havoc, and Bill Spier were with Dick Bertel and Ed Corcoran for WTIC’s The Golden Age of Radio. These interviews can be heard at GoldenAge-WTIC.org.
• John Gassman of SPERDVAC was with Art Linkletter in 1991. For more information, please go to SPERDVAC.com.
• Jack Kruschen and Shirley Mitchell were with Jim Bohannon on September 12th, 1987.
• Chuck Cecil interviewed Ozzie Nelson.
• Johnny Hayes, David Nelson, and Jack Wagner were interviewed by KRLA
• Johnny Carson interviewed Orson Welles, Ozzie, Harriet, and Ricky Nelson for The Tonight Show, while David Hartman interviewed David, Harriet, and Ricky for Good Morning America.
• Frank Bresee interviewed Bing Crosby, John Scott Trotter
• And Dick Joy was with John Dunning for 71KNUS.
Selected Music featured in today’s episode was:
• A Wicked Thought – By John Zacharely
• Ghost Bus Tours – By George Fenton for High Spirits
• Travelin Man – By Ricky Nelson
Special thanks to our Sponsors:
The Mysterious Old Radio Listening Society
The Fireside Mystery Theater
I’d also like to thank Walden Hughes and John and Larry Gassman of SPERDVAC. Listen to their shows on the Yesterday USA radio network.
By the way, SPERDVAC – The Society To Preserve and Encourage Radio Drama, Variety and Comedy will be having their next convention this coming November 7th through 10th at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 3131 Bristol St. in Costa Mesa, CA.
For more information, please go to SPERDVAC.com
A Special Thank you to:
Patreon – patreon.com/thewallbreakers
Social Media – @TheWallBreakers
URL – thewallbreakers.com