In Breaking Walls Episode 53 we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a look at some of the on-air St. Paddy’s Day shenanigans throughout the Golden Age of Radio.
• A profile on Fred Allen, born John Sullivan, and his feud with Jack Benny, which culminated (for the first time) at the Pierre Hotel in New York on March 14, 1937, and again three days later on Fred’s show on St. Patrick’s Day in 1937
• Irish-American tenor Dennis Day’s return from the Navy to the Jack Benny Program on March 17, 1946
• Why Gracie Allen loved the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in New York City – From The George Burns and Gracie Allen show – March 17, 1941
• Beat the Band’s The Wearing of the Green – March 17, 1940
• Bill Stern, Notre Dame, Chauncey Olcott, and My Wild Irish Rose – March 17, 1944
• Fred Allen’s triumph’s, struggles and his untimely passing on March 17, 1956
To subscribe to these podcasts on iTunes, Search for Breaking Walls.
The WallBreakers are on all social media outlets @TheWallBreakers.
The WallBreakers can also be reached by email at hello@TheWallBreakers.com