In Breaking Walls episode 106, we join Eve Arden at Madison High School and find out why we all love Our Miss Brooks.
• Who is Eunice Quedens?
• Eve the heroine with Elizabeth Arden cosmetics.
• Starting out in Hollywood
• Getting on the Radio
• Teaming with Danny Kaye, Jack Haley, and Jack Carson
• William Paley and his Packaged Program Initiative
• My Friend Irma and Two New Proposed Female-driven Situation Comedies
• Our Miss Booth—Not Happening
• Eve Arden, meet Connie Brooks
• Our Miss Brooks—The New Summer Hit
• Colgate Signs on in the Fall of 1948
• Cast Camaraderie
• Eve Arden—Radio’s Top Comedienne
• Miss Brooks Gains Traction
• Taking the Show into TV without Jeff Chandler
• Winding down the Radio Show
• Looking Ahead to October
Subscribe to Breaking Walls everywhere you get your podcasts.
To support the show:
The reading material used in today’s episode was:
On the Air — By John Dunning
Network Radio Ratings, 1932-53 — By Jim Ramsburg
As well as articles from the archives of Broadcasting Magazine, Radio Daily, and Radio Mirror.
On the interview front:
Eve Arden, Gale Gordon, Jack Haley and Gloria McMillan were with Chuck Schaden. Hear their full chats at SpeakingofRadio.com.
Eve Arden was also with John Dunning on July 25th, 1982 for 71KNUS
Mary Jane Croft was with SPERDVAC on March 14th, 1992. For more information, please go to SPERDVAC.com.
Shirley Booth was with Dick Cavett in 1971.
And Ozzie and Harriet Nelson were on Johnny Carson’s Tonight Show on November 18th, 1969.
Selected music featured in today’s episode was:
• It’s Been a Long Long Time — By The Harry James Band
• Easy Street — By June Christy
• Living Without You — By George Winston
• Hello Mary Lou — By Ricky Nelson
Subscribe to Burning Gotham—the new audio drama set in 1835 New York City. It’s available everywhere you get your podcasts and at BurningGotham.com.
Special thanks to our Sponsors:
The Mysterious Old Radio Listening Society
Twelve Chimes, It’s Midnight
The Fireside Mystery Theatre
A special thank you to Ted Davenport and Jerry Haendiges: two radio show collectors who helped supply material for this episode. They’re who the large retailers go to.
Ted’s got a Facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/otrteddavenport/
For Jerry, please visit http://otrsite.com/
I’d also like to thank Walden Hughes and John and Larry Gassman of SPERDVAC – http://sperdvac.com/
A Special Thank you to:
Orson Orsen Chandler
Thomas M. Joyce
Patreon – patreon.com/thewallbreakers
Social Media – @TheWallBreakers
URL – thewallbreakers.com